PDA

View Full Version : Is the programm .Arank dead ?

TransHuman
14-06-2008, 11:12 AM
On the home page, you can read the last news from 23.01.2008.
No further progress in the development of a new version is visible since then.
It does not make sense to use the programme further.

interlider
16-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Don't see why you expect updates as a sign of life. If the project were dead, then the servers would be down and you wouldn't be able to see your rank any more.

The lack of updates is a topic of major concern to us all, but you can't say the project just died.

~IntEr

SF]Hanzou
19-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, it seems like .arank becomes a more and more questionable tool.

1) The last update was on 23.1. 2008!!... Now we have June...

2) I wonder when the bug with the unreasonable leaves / -10 points is fixed. It doesn't really makes sense to use a "bugged" tool.
.arank is a nice idea, but if it doesn't function correctly, it's just trash.

3) Please fix it ASAP!!
Ty.

DoNmazZ
19-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Hanzou ]

2) I wonder when the bug with the unreasonable leaves / -10 points is fixed. It doesn't really makes sense to use a "bugged" tool.
.arank is a nice idea, but if it doesn't function correctly, it's just trash.

Just stop playing with arank version RC1... this is the bugged version

Executer
19-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Just stop playing with arank version RC1... this is the bugged version

RC1 worked for me a long time without sending wrong -10 reports, now its broken too.
RC2 is not working.
RC3 is not working too.
So your suggestion is to not use Dotarank anymore? I did that already.

Pro Dotarank

the idea of a goodlist reporting system is good

Contra Dotarank
the system is easy to abuse (kickm players;force them to stay at uneven ratios etc.)
the system is in various situations unfair (5/2 leaves etc.)
the client is buggy; cpu hogging / time calculations / player list sometimes hang, is lost etc.
inconsistent game reports in database
information management

What i would like to see:

a working client
a bug list with the informations needed to identify if u are affected by a bug.
a organized way to collect the needed data to fix a bug (debug informations, user reports)
a list of tasks todo with their priority
informations about the -10 bug (whats causing them, what are the symptoms, what is a collateral damage of the scoring system and NOT -10 bug)
closing the "-10 points" grave where just "please fix my score/report" posts are collected while they wont get fixed anyway and to valuable informations there is no answer

and mby just an answer as return for the reports, the promoting and time i invested

DoNmazZ
20-06-2008, 04:16 PM
RC2 & RC3 work only if you are not host (for me and for many others too), so RC1 works if u are host too... thats why many ppl still use it

Executer
20-06-2008, 08:28 PM
RC2 & RC3 work only if you are not host (for me and for many others too), so RC1 works if u are host too... thats why many ppl still use it

Yeah, the ones who need the tool the most had to stick with buggy RC1 and look up any Rank 1 player in the browser and even this client turned now completly unusable for me while it worked a half year long without major problems. If hosts couldnt use Dotarank who should host then ranked games? Oh and having a friend looking up for u isn't a alternative because such tools are used to make the hosting of high quality games easier and not worse.

["-10"joke]
The best thing is does i as host didnt even have to kick players out of the game to distribute unfair "-10" reports, that feature is now a built-in feature for ranked games hosts... :D, but dont worry the host get his +1 point so i dont see a problem at all.
[/"-10"joke]

The bad thing is, by not using the buggy tool to protect the community and the already collected data i just make it easier to deny the problem and the impact it has. It's just pitty because even the flawed scoring system worked good... pitty to see Dotarank getting ruined and all my reports becoming a waste.

When hosts couldn't use Dotarank u will not see much ranked games. Not many ranked games mean does only few players know or use it. This leads to few sended reports, so u didnt find enough ranked players to fill a 5:5 and have to let rank 1 players play to fill the game with the normal risk does they leave.

by the way:
Dotarank has became a running joke since my mates went from rank 6+ to rank 1 because buggy reports ::)
Oh and just to speak it out, posting in the official "-10 thread" has the same effect on getting a report fixed or deleted as throwing a message in a bottle down the sink. ;D
officially raised now from facts based critism to sarcasm \o/

Sir Rogers
21-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey guys, I appreciate your concerns on this, because I share the same concerns.

As some of you may know I started out as a DotArank user and I know nothing more than you do. I've only just been contacting Brutalisk again.
Ressources stopped being available and there wasn't anyone that could work on the project. Right now they're working to fix it, and I really hope that we'll soon have someone working on it again.

I know the bugs are really annoying, but I hope that it will all get fixed and I admire that you guys still check out the forums.
So keep it up. I also promise a change in the current system, once the tool gets debugged, I think it's time to change the scoring system a little bit and make it fairer.

cibes
30-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Don't see why you expect updates as a sign of life. If the project were dead, then the servers would be down and you wouldn't be able to see your rank any more.

The lack of updates is a topic of major concern to us all, but you can't say the project just died.

~IntEr

The problem is, there are quiet a few ppl here in the community who care about arank and want to see it improved. There are - no offense - some bugs to be fixed in order to make the programm actually usable again.
It doesn't help to ignore these guys who are even willing to help fixing problems. You're just getting more and more frustrated users.
IF you explain the problems and delays and maybe, just maybe, even offer them to help bug tracking they'll surely understand and support the stuff instead of giving arank up after all.
I don't know who is in a position to change things, but the communication with the community on this site is one of the worst i've ever experienced.